File your Taxes for Free!
  • Get your maximum refund*
  • 100% accurate calculations guaranteed*

TurboTax Federal Free Edition - File Taxes Online

Don't let filing your taxes get you down! We'll help make it as easy as possible. With e-file and direct deposit, there's no faster way to get your refund!

Approved TurboTax Affiliate Site. TurboTax and TurboTax Online, among others, are registered trademarks and/or service marks of Intuit Inc. in the United States and other countries. Other parties' trademarks or service marks are the property of the respective owners.

© 2012 - 2018 All rights reserved.

This is an Approved TurboTax Affiliate site. TurboTax and TurboTax Online, among other are registered trademarks and/or service marks of Intuit, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Other parties' trademarks or service marks are the property of the respective owners.
When discussing "Free e-file", note that state e-file is an additional fee. E-file fees do not apply to New York state returns. Prices are subject to change without notice. E-file and get your refund faster
*If you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculations error, we'll pay you the penalty and interest.
*Maximum Refund Guarantee - or Your Money Back: If you get a larger refund or smaller tax due from another tax preparation method, we'll refund the applicable TurboTax federal and/or state purchase price paid. TurboTax Federal Free Edition customers are entitled to payment of $14.99 and a refund of your state purchase price paid. Claims must be submitted within sixty (60) days of your TurboTax filing date and no later than 6/15/14. E-file, Audit Defense, Professional Review, Refund Transfer and technical support fees are excluded. This guarantee cannot be combined with the TurboTax Satisfaction (Easy) Guarantee. *We're so confident your return will be done right, we guarantee it. Accurate calculations guaranteed. If you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculations error, we'll pay you the penalty and interest.

How To Amend Taxes

Free 2011 Tax FormsUnemployed And TaxesWho Can File 1040ezHow To File State Taxes For Free OnlineRefile 2012 TaxesIrs File 1040ez2012 Form 1040aDo State Taxes For FreeAmended Tax FormsFree State E File Tax ReturnIrs Gov 2011 Tax FormsForm 1040ez More:label_form_201040ez More:taxes2010 Income Tax FormsTurbo Tax MilitaryH & R Block Taxes1040x Amended Tax FormHow Do I File Back TaxesHow Can I Amend My 2010 Tax ReturnH&r Block Free Tax PrepFiling Taxes For FreeHow To Amend A Tax ReturnFree Tax SoftwareIrs Free File Using Form 1040 EzFederal Tax 1040ezTaxact 2011 Free EditionFile TaxesState Tax Return Free E-fileCan I File My 2011 Taxes Online FreeState Tax Forms OnlineHelp With 1040x First TimeEz Tax ReturnForm 1040 V1040ez HelpFile 2010 Taxes OnlineWww Myfreetaxes Com UnitedwaymhcHr Block 1040nrHow To File Taxes As A StudentFile Back Tax OnlineAmended Return1040ez Federal Tax Form

How To Amend Taxes

How to amend taxes Publication 535 - Additional Material Prev  Up  Next   Home   More Online Publications
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding your CP259 Notice

We've sent you this notice because our records indicate you didn't file the required business tax return identified in the notice.

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)

Tax publications you may find useful

How to get help

Calling the 1-800 number listed on the top right corner of your notice is the fastest way to get your questions answered.

You can also authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using this Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (Form 2848).

What you need to do

  • File your required business return immediately.
    • If eligible, file your return electronically with all required schedules, using your e-file provider, or
    • File a paper return with all required schedules
  • Complete the Response form enclosed with your notice and mail it to us, using the enclosed envelope:
    • To explain why you are filing late.
    • To explain why you don’t think you need to file.
    • If you have already filed and it's been more than four weeks, or if you used a different name or Employer ID number (EIN) than shown on the notice when filing.
  • If you have filed within the last four weeks using the same name and EIN shown on the notice, you may disregard this notice.

You may want to...

  • Review Tax Information for Businesses which provides information regarding various business filing issues.
  • Review your records and ensure all returns are filed timely.

Answers to Common Questions

Why did I receive multiple CP 259 notices?
If your business hasn't filed tax returns, a notice will be generated and mailed for each tax form and tax period the IRS shows as delinquent.

I have never had employees and or filed this return previously so why did I receive a notice requesting me to file?
When you apply for an Employer Identification number, filing requirements are established requiring specific types of returns to be filed (e.g. Form 940, Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment Tax Return; Form 941, Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return; Form 1120, U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return, etc.). When the return is not filed, the IRS considers it to be delinquent and generates a notice requesting the return be filed.

Do I still need to file a tax return even if I had no employees or business activity during the tax period(s) in question?
If you had no employees or business activity during a tax period you are not required to file a return for that tax period. You still need to respond to this notice. If you made Federal Tax Deposits or other payments or credits for the tax period, you must file a signed return showing the payments to get a refund.

Tips for next year

File all required returns by the appropriate due date.

Understanding your notice

Reading your notice
Your notice may look different from the sample because the information contained in your notice is tailored to your situation.

Notice CP259, Page 1

Notice CP259, Page 2

Notice CP259, Page 3

Notice CP259, Page 4

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 28-Mar-2014

The How To Amend Taxes

How to amend taxes Publication 595 - Introductory Material Table of Contents Introduction Important Reminder Introduction This publication discusses the Capital Construction Fund (CCF). How to amend taxes The CCF is a special investment program administered by the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). How to amend taxes This program allows fishermen to defer paying income tax on certain income they invest in a CCF account and later use to acquire, build, or rebuild fishing vessels. How to amend taxes This publication does not discuss all the tax rules that may apply to your fishing trade or business. How to amend taxes For general information about the federal tax laws that apply to individuals, including commercial fishermen, who file Schedule C or C-EZ, see Publication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business. How to amend taxes If your trade or business is a partnership or corporation, see Publication 541, Partnerships, or Publication 542, Corporations. How to amend taxes Comments and suggestions. How to amend taxes   We welcome your comments about this publication and your suggestions for future editions. How to amend taxes   You can email us at *taxforms@irs. How to amend taxes gov. How to amend taxes Please put “Publications Comment” on the subject line. How to amend taxes   You can write to us at the following address: Internal Revenue Service Business Forms and Publications Branch SE:W:CAR:MP:T:B 1111 Constitution Ave. How to amend taxes NW, IR-6406 Washington, DC 20224   We respond to many letters by telephone. How to amend taxes Therefore, it would be helpful if you would include your daytime phone number, including the area code, in your correspondence. How to amend taxes Important Reminder Photographs of missing children. How to amend taxes  The Internal Revenue Service is a proud partner with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. How to amend taxes Photographs of missing children selected by the Center may appear in this publication on pages that would otherwise be blank. How to amend taxes You can help bring these children home by looking at the photographs and calling 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678) if you recognize a child. How to amend taxes Prev  Up  Next   Home   More Online Publications