Get Your Tax Refund
File your Federal Taxes for
Free with TurboTax Federal FREE Edition
FREE to Prepare + FREE to Print + FREE to E-file
- Get your maximum refund*
- 100% accurate calculations guaranteed*
TurboTax Federal Free Edition - File Taxes Online
Don't let filing your taxes get you down! We'll help make it as easy as possible. With e-file and direct deposit, there's no faster way to get your refund!
Approved TurboTax Affiliate Site. TurboTax and TurboTax Online, among others, are registered trademarks and/or service marks of Intuit Inc. in the United States and other countries. Other parties' trademarks or service marks are the property of the respective owners.
1040x Form For 20122012 1040ez Tax FormI Need To Amend My 2011 TaxesHow To Fill Out A 1040x1040 EzInternal Revenue Tax Forms 2010Filing State TaxState Tax For FreeIrs Gov Tax FormsHow To File 2009 Taxes2006 Tax SoftwareTax Amendment FormHow To File 1040ezIrs 1040ez Form 2013Free Federal Tax E FilingHow Do I Amend My Income Tax ReturnAmended 1040File An Amended Tax ReturnFree Tax HelpTaxes For FreeIrs Gov Amended Tax ReturnHow Do I Amend My 2010 Tax Return1040aBlock At HomeFree Tax ReturnsFree Tax Usa 2012Taxact 2012 Return User2011 Tax ReturnFree State Tax FilingIf I Am Unemployed Do I File TaxesTax Form 2011File 2012 TaxMy Free TaxFile 1040 XEitcIrs Gov Freefile ExtensionFile State Income Tax Online FreeAmend 2009 Tax Return Online FreeHow To File Late Taxes 2012Irs Tax Form 1040ezIrs Extention Form
1040x Form For 20121040x form for 2012 Publication 502 - Additional Material Prev Up Next Home More Online Publications
Sample Consumer Complaint Letter
This sample complaint letter will help you provide all of the necessary information to file a complaint.
How to Use the Sample Complaint Letter
Use the sample consumer complaint letter below to draft a complaint letter or e-mail. You can also copy and paste your complaint into a company's "Contact Us" form.
Sample Complaint Letter and E-mail
[Your City, State, ZIP]
(Your e-mail address, if sending via e-mail)
[Name of Contact Person] (if available)
[Title] (if available)
[Consumer Complaint Division] (if you have no specific contact)
[City, State, ZIP Code]
Dear [Contact Person]:
Re: (account number, if applicable)
On [date], I [bought, leased, rented, or had repaired] a [name of the product, with serial or model number, or service performed] at [location, date, and other important details of the transaction].
Unfortunately, your product [or service] has not performed well [or the service was inadequate] because [state the problem]. I am disappointed because [explain the problem: for example, the product does not work properly; the service was not performed correctly; I was billed the wrong amount; something was not disclosed clearly or was misrepresented; etc.].
To resolve the problem, I would appreciate your [state the specific action you want: money refunded, charge card credit, repair, exchange, etc.]. Enclosed are copies (do not send originals) of my records [include receipts, guarantees, warranties, canceled checks, contracts, model and serial numbers, and any other documents].
I look forward to your reply and a resolution to my problem and will wait until [set a time limit] before seeking help from a consumer protection agency or the Better Business Bureau. Please contact me at the above address or by phone at [home and/or office numbers with area code].
Keys to an Effective Complaint Letter
- Describe your purchase.
- Include the name of the product and serial number.
- Include the date and place of purchase.
- State your problem.
- Give the history of your purchase.
- Ask for specific action.
- Allow time for action.
- State how you can be reached.
- Enclose copies of your documents and receipts (but never send originals).
- Keep copies of all your letters, faxes, e-mails, and related documents.
Tips for Filing a Complaint
When filing a complaint, remember these tips:
- Remain calm. The person who can help probably didn't cause the problem.
- Don't use an angry, threatening, or sarcastic tone.
- State exactly what you want done about the problem.
- Document each step, and keep copies.
- Start with the seller first. You can resolve many problems by calling a company's toll-free number. Even on the phone, you should know the details of the complaint. You can use the sample letter below to jot down a few notes before you call. If necessary, ask to speak to a manager.
- If that doesn't work, send a letter or e-mail to the manufacturer's national headquarters or consumer affairs office. Some experts suggest that a letter is the most effective method for contacting a company, so if e-mails and phone calls don't work, try mailing a letter.