Contact Your Local Taxpayer Advocate
The Taxpayer Advocate Service is your voice at the IRS. Our job is to ensure that every taxpayer is treated fairly, and that you know and understand your rights. We offer free help to guide you through the often-confusing process of resolving tax problems that you haven’t been able to solve on your own. Remember, the worst thing you can do is nothing at all.
TAS can help if you can’t resolve your problem with the IRS and:
- Your problem is causing financial difficulties for you, your family, or your business.
- You face (or your business is facing) an immediate threat of adverse action.
- You’ve tried repeatedly to contact the IRS but no one has responded to you, or the IRS hasn’t responded by the date promised.
If you qualify for our help, we’ll do everything we can to get your problem resolved. You'll be assigned to one advocate who will be with you at every turn. Although TAS is independent within the IRS, our advocates know how to work with the IRS to get your problems resolved.
As a taxpayer, you have rights that the IRS must abide by in its dealings with you. Our tax toolkit can help you understand these rights.
Here’s how to reach your local Taxpayer Advocate Service office:
- Taxpayers in the 48 contiguous states, Alaska and Hawaii [View Local Taxpayer Advocates by state]
- Taxpayers in the Pacific US Territories (Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands) [View Information]
- Taxpayers in the Caribbean US Territories (Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands) and International [View Information]
Virtual Tax Help
Need help but don’t have a Taxpayer Advocate Service office near you? We have a new option! TAS now offers help through video conferencing.
How does this work?
You can go to a location in one of the cities listed below and use high-definition two-way video conferencing to get face-to-face help from a taxpayer advocate in another city. Similar to talking to a case advocate in person, this allows you to discuss your tax matters in a private setting.
You can also call this toll-free number to find out if TAS can help you: 1-877-777-4778 or TTY/TTD: 1-800-829-4059.
You can file Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance, with the Taxpayer Advocate Service, or ask an IRS employee to complete the form on your behalf. Fax or mail the form to your Local Taxpayer Advocate.